Sunday, September 30, 2012

DVD Coloring Travel Case

This is one of the COOLEST ideas I've seen in a LONG time, and I decided I've GOT to try it! This activity is perfect for long car trips or in times of eating out where you need a distraction for the kiddos. I found my inspiration from http://stacyvaughnblog.blogspot.com This girl came up with this cool idea and here is my take on it!
 
What you'll need:
  • Old DVD case (The one pictured is a standard movie case, but I ended up using one that was a little bit deeper and it worked out better for me, but either will work)
  • Fabric (I used two different colors, one for the pocket, and one for the backing)
  • Thin piece of cardboard
  • Spray Adhesive (I think hot glue will also work very well, next time I'll use that instead)
  • Colorful Craft paper (For decorating the outside)
  • Utility Knife
 
 
First, you'll want to cut out the part that holds the DVD in the case. This is the most difficult part of this entire activity because it is a pain. Use your utility knife and cut around that part so you'll have a flat part to put your crayons, markers, pencils etc in. Make sure you don't cut through the plastic cover, you'll need that to decorate the outside later. I used a cutting mat in between the case and the plastic cover to prevent me from cutting though it.
 
 
Once you cut that part out, Cut a relatively thin piece of cardboard to fit the space to cover the cut out. Then cut a piece of fabric to cover the cardboard. I found pieces of fabric at my local Wal-Mart really cheap!! 97 cents to be exact. You can't beat that for small pieces of fabric, and they had A LOT of cute styles to choose from. Glue the fabric to the cardboard. You can use a spray or hot glue the edges.
 
 
Cut another piece of fabric for the pocket. I cut mine so the pocket would be half as tall as the case. Once you measure, double the height so when you fold the fabric in half it will be the right size. Iron so you have a crisp fold. Glue that down, but make sure you leave enough room for your crayons, markers, pencils etc to have enough room to slide in and out easily.
Once that's glued down, glue the entire thing to the inside of the case to cover the hole you cut.
 
 
Then you can decorate the outside anyway you want...I just used a piece of scrapbook paper and glued some of my fabric turtles to it. This is where you can be as creative as you want and let the littles color and draw all they want.
 
 Here's our result!
I ADORE it, and I think my little loves it too!! This will be great to take on car trips and it will keep him busy!
I used some of the fabric and colored paper for the outside decoration.
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Crafting


No comments:

Post a Comment